The Tourism Authority of Kiribati (TAK) was established on 10 June 2019 under the aegis of the Ministry of Information, Communication, Transport and Tourism Development (MICTTD) and is governed by the Kiribati Tourism Act 2018.
TAK is mandated by the Government of Kiribati (GoK) to lead the country’s tourism development and promotional programme. These include tourism investment promotion, product development, licensing and standards regulation, training and development, research and statistics and tourism marketing and promotions.
The objectives therefore of TAK are, among others, to promote the sustainable growth of tourism, increase its economic contribution and improve standards of living and wellbeing.
TAK has offices in Betio, South Tarawa and London in Kiritimati.
To influence economic growth, social development and environmental
well-being in Kiribati through Sustainable Tourism Development
To develop and grow an inclusive sustainable tourism economy through:
- Tourism Investment – champion Kiribati’s Tourism Investment Promotion through coordinated engagement between all relevant stakeholders.
- Capacity Building – lead the process of training and equipping I- Kiribati nationals with adequate skills required to cater for the envisaged growth in tourism.
- Business Support & Mentoring – facilitate tourism product development processes and initiate the development of tourism business support and mentoring programs that will empower operators through a sustainable tourism business approach.
- Marketing & Promotions – implement effective destination marketing and promotion initiatives and position Kiribati as the leading emerging island destination of the Pacific.
- Special Projects & Funding – develop and secure funding for sustainable tourism projects that will improve visitor experiences in Kiribati.